Are you looking to sell your home? The handymen at Showroom Conditions are often tasked with upgrading homes before they are showcased to potential buyers. Here are a few renovations that can increase the resale value of your home:
One relatively small change that you can make is to give your lighting a facelift. It’s very off-putting for potential homeowners to walk through a home, flick a switch, and the room remains dark. Make sure everything is working properly and also consider which rooms could do with a few extra lighting sources. Trendy lighting at the moment, such as recessed lighting, is also worth the investment.
Give your calls a fresh coat of paint before putting your home on the market. Stick to a neutral colour palette to make sure that a new homeowner can visualise their own interior decorating and furniture in the space. Make sure the colour you choose makes the interior look brighter and cleaner.
General home renovations
Check flooring for any cracks or flaws. Redoing a floor is very expensive, so call an experienced flooring contractor or handyman to find out how you can fix the flooring area without having to replace entire rooms or large sections.
Most people know that a great kitchen is an important selling point in a new home. They also know that revamping a kitchen is one of the most expensive home renovation projects. If you don’t want to spend too much, ensure that all the elements in the kitchen are functioning properly and ensure that all your kitchen cabinets, cupboards and doors are properly secured.
Need help getting your home ready? Contact Showroom Condition for handyman services in Gauteng today.
Tiles are a great option for South African homes. As a handyman in Johannesburg, I’ve seen numerous homeowners give their homes a facelift and increase the resale value of their homes simply by installing tiles. Not only are tiles low maintenance, but they look great and are a welcome cool addition to an interior in the warmer summer months. Here’s a quick guide to make the laborious task a bit easier:
Determine what you want
Browsing Pinterest and design magazines is great, but your best bet is to visit a tile supplier to see the tiles in real life. Consider how the design will match your current interiors and keep in mind that flooring is a long-term investment, so stick with something classic.
Plan the design
If you’re going to use the same tile throughout a room or space, then you don’t need to spend too much time planning. If, however, you want to mix it up with different patterns, then plan the tile sequence so that what you have in mind can easily be laid down on the floor.
Make sure you buy enough tiles by carefully measuring the space that you plan to tile. There are many online calculators that you can use to determine how many tiles that you buy. One of the reasons that you want to get this right is because different batches of tiles can vary in tile shades, so rather buy a bit too much than too little.
Now that you’ve got all the planning done, it’s time to install the tiles. If you need help, contact Showroom Condition for handyman services in Johannesburg.
Laminate flooring is an excellent choice for high traffic areas as it is more durable and resistant to stains when compared to other flooring options such as hardwood and carpet. It is also one of the most affordable flooring options currently available on the market. Read on for everything you need to know about laying it like a pro and making the best possible purchase decision.
- While laminate flooring can be placed anywhere in the home, it works best in living areas and hallways. However, there are certain types of laminate flooring that have been especially designed for bathrooms and kitchens. Always check the details on the packaging before heading to the till!
- Not sure how much to buy? Simply measure the width of your room at its widest points, followed by the length. Multiply them together to give you the area of your room in m2. Add 10% just to be safe.
- In order to lay the laminate flooring yourself, you will need a variety of tools including a mallet, claw hammer, measuring tape, combination square, jigsaw, laminate underlay, expansion strip, scotia, craft knife, spirit level and saw.
- Choose your underlay carefully. There are a number of options including wood fibre boards, polyfoam and a combined underlay.
- Remember to vacuum the floor before getting started, and ensure that the entire area is completely dry.
Keen to hire a handyman in Gauteng to help make the process a bit easier and to ensure perfect results? If so, you can always count on Showroom Condition. Specialising in all sorts of handyman services from fitting laminate flooring to hanging curtains and shelves, we have the experience and skills necessary to get the job done right the first time! For more information, do not hesitate to give us a call.
As a handyman in Gauteng, I get tasked with all types of jobs – from repairing roofs to installing faucets. If you’ve got issues such as unpredictable water flow or leaks, then it might be a good idea to install new faucets. Here’s a step by step guide to get the job done:
- Turn off the water supply
The water supply can be turned off under your sink or under the dishwasher and disconnect the hot and cold water hoses. Put a bucket underneath because water in the pipes may spill onto your floor. It’s possible that debris has built up in these pipes, so clean the pipes where possible.
- Remove the old faucet
Unscrew the nuts on the existing faucet and remove the gasket and rubber ring. Once all the parts are removed, you can lift the faucet off of the sink’s base.
- Check the size of the holes
If you’re installing a different faucet size or model, you may be left with unsightly gaps. Use silicone and stainless-steel cups (or whatever material fits well with your existing kitchen and sink) to close any gaps.
- Install the new faucet
New faucets often come with hot and cold water faucets, so you can simply attach them to the hoses. Screw the hoses to the tape and use a screwdriver to tighten the bolt.
Need help with your faucet installation? Then contact Showroom Condition for handyman services in Gauteng today.
As a handyman, I often get tasked with mounting televisions for people. Wall mounting is one of the best options for flat screen televisions, and the process of getting it on the wall is quite easy if you’ve got the know-how and equipment. Here’s a quick guide:
- Attach the brackets to the back of the flat screen television
Most flat screen TV’s come with brackets, so your first step is to find the brackets in the box or packaging and attach them to the back of the television. There are usually three or four holes that the brackets slot into. Use the little screws to make sure it’s fastened correctly.
- Mark the right area on the wall
Test the right height and location of the television for your own comfort. Consider how you usually sit on your couch and what the best spot would be for everyone watching television in the room. Mark the wall when you find the right spot.
- Determine the correct measurements
This is the tricky part. Minimise unnecessary wall drilling by attaching the wall plate to the television and measuring the right distance between the screws. Use a level to make sure the measurements are correct.
- Drill and screw
After you’ve got the right position and measurements, drill the holes for your wall plate screws.
- Mount your television
Check that your wall plates and brackets are 100% sturdy and mount the television onto the wall. Make sure that it can handle the weight of the television before you let go.
If you’re not comfortable mounting your flat screen television to the wall yourself, then you can contact us for handyman services in Johannesburg – we’re happy to help.
Are you the person responsible for taking care of all the handyman services and related matters in your home? Good for you! Here is a list of the 5 important tools that you should have stashed away in your trusty toolbox.
A Classic Claw Hammer
This is the ultimate toolbox essential and has many uses. Not only can it be used to drive nails into walls, furniture, etc., but it also comes in handy for small demolition jobs. Plus, it makes for a useful nutcracker!
While it helps to have a variety of different types of screwdrivers on hand, the flathead variant is likely to be the one that you use the most.
Whether you’re building something from scratch or trying to figure out what size curtains you need to buy for your new home, a tape measure is a must for every household.
It costs more than the other wrenches on the market, but it’s like having every type of wrench all in one! It’s also fully adjustable, making it super convenient for all the little odd jobs that may pop up around the home.
If you can, do your best to get your hands on a pair of vise-grip pliers, as these are easy to lock in and can double-up as both wire cutters and a clamp.
Sick and tired of having to do it all yourself? Get in touch with Showroom Condition for affordable handyman services in Johannesburg! We even offer you customisable monthly maintenance contracts. Visit our website or give us a call to learn more.
Burglaries can happen to anyone. The most important thing is to make the essential repairs and security adjustments to protect and secure your Johannesburg home once more. Allow Showroom Condition to show you how their handyman services can be used to repair the damage that was done and make future attempts far less likely to succeed.
- Damage repair
House break-ins are rarely clean. It is highly likely that your door and/or windows have been broken. While these remain unrepaired, you are at risk. We repair or replace doors, gates and windows as required. We even take care of minor building services.
- Security improvements
Naturally, simply repairing what you had before will not suffice. We are one of the few handymen services with our own steel fabrication services. This allows us to acquire or custom fabricate and securely install security and sliding gates, burglar bars and barriers, steel palisades and various wall-top, access prevention hardware. If you want, we can also extend the height of your wall. We can strengthen any existing security measure, such as fitting substantially stronger locks or reinforcing steel access control mechanisms. If you do not already have them, we can install security lights around the exterior of your house or blinds to prevent prying eyes from scoping out your valuables.
- Vetted labour
The last thing you want is strangers with access to your home. However, you can rest assured that we at Showroom Condition do not employ casual labourers to do our jobs. Each member of our team is well-known to us, experienced and trustworthy. All our projects are extensively supervised.
- Monthly check-ups and general maintenance
If you’re worried about the maintenance of your home and/or new security, we offer a monthly maintenance contract. We will keep your home looking great. We are on call whenever you need us. Because we are consistently performing maintenance, we will immediately notice if anything has been tampered with. as well as
If you need our services, or are interested in installing preventative measures on your property, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Showroom Condition, for a repair and refit job that you can trust.
From your thatch roof to your patio tiles, keeping the exterior portion of your home in tip-top condition can pose a real challenge – especially if you work full-time and barely have a spare moment for yourself or your family! It is in these instances that you may benefit from enlisting handyman services in Gauteng. Below, we look at some of these services and what they entail:
Beautiful paving makes a house feel like a home and can be a huge selling point in the future.
Installation of flower boxes
Half of the fun of owning your own home is decorating it and adding to its overall aesthetic appeal. Flower boxes do exactly that.
If you are to ensure that the structure of your home remains sturdy, waterproofing is a must – especially when it comes to your roof.
Generally, thatch roofs require little maintenance. However, if left unchecked for months and months, they will require plenty of tender loving care.
Clogged, damaged gutters will do the structural integrity of your home no favours! It is because of this that keeping them clear and in good condition will certainly pay off in the future – if and when you decide to sell.
A family pool promises years of fun and relief from the scorching heat that Gauteng is often known for. To ensure this, regular maintenance (even throughout the winter months) should always be a priority.
Just don’t have the time to do all the above? Then it may be time to start looking into handyman services. Gauteng is home to Showroom Condition and we have what it takes to keep the exterior of your home looking its very best. Contact us today to learn more about our wide range of services.
Unblocking a kitchen sink can be a messy job and without handyman tips to guide you, it may become more difficult and even messier. Over time, your kitchen sink can become blocked with debris and food particles, causing the water to build up and stay in your sink rather than flowing through the kitchen water pipes to an outside drain.
Here are a few easy ways for a DIY handyman to unblock a kitchen drain:
• Using a plunger – When using a plunger, make sure that all the other pipe outlets are closed with rags in order to ensure a secure plunge. It is beneficial that the plunger is securely fixed over the drain opening. Holding the plunger upright, plunge for at least ten times in a fast manner to ensure all blocked debris is removed by the force.
• Using baking soda and vinegar – Pour a half cup of baking soda into the drain opening and then a half cup of white vinegar. A fizzing reaction will take place and debris will become unblocked. Rinse the drain with hot water to clean debris. This method should be followed a few times to ensure a perfectly clean kitchen drain.
• Using baking soda and salt – Mix a half cup of salt and one cup of baking soda and pour it down the drain opening. Let the mixture set within the drain pipes for about 24-hours. When set, pour two cups of hot water into the drain to ensure all blockages are resolved.
• Using of wire – Being very careful not to damage the drain pipes, use a long metal wire to push blocked debris through the pipe or to pull blocked debris from the pipe. After following this procedure, rinse the drain with hot water to ensure all blockages are cleared.
Showroom Condition – The best handyman service in Kyalami Estates
At Showroom Condition, we ensure all our services are of top quality. Our staff will always walk the extra mile to ensure your house looks great.
For more information about the handyman services we have to offer, do not hesitate to contact us today.
A leaking faucet can become very annoying after a while and with only a few handyman tips, you will soon forget that “tap-tap-tap”. If you choose to fix a broken faucet in or around your home without the assistance of a professional handyman service, you need to make sure that you use the correct DIY handyman methods of fixing the leak.
Here are some tips for a DIY handyman on fixing a broken faucet that is easy to do for the basic DIY person at home:
- When preparing to fix the broken faucet, you need to ensure that the water is turned off at the main water pipe of your home. This way, you will not have the mess of cleaning up an entire room filled with water afterward.
- If you unscrew the handle from the faucet, make sure that you use a little oil to ensure you do not damage any of the other faucet parts.
- When removing the stem of the faucet, make sure to use a high-quality wrench. You also need to check all the removed parts for damage to determine where the fault is.
- Replacing the old O-rings and washers are crucial when repairing a faucet and should be done carefully. You need to make sure that these O-rings and washers are exact fits to the old parts.
- Before reassembling all the parts, make sure that all the parts are clean and free of debris. Doing this will lessen the chance of the faucet becoming faulty again in the near future.
- It is beneficial to sort the leak out as soon as possible as neglecting it can cause bigger leaks near the spout and other parts that will need to be replaced.
Showroom Condition will make your house a home
At Showroom Condition, you will receive a wide variety of handyman services which includes house painting, waterproofing, plumbing services, electrical services, and much more.
For more information, do not hesitate to give us a call and one of our handymen will assist you!