Laminate flooring is an excellent choice for high traffic areas as it is more durable and resistant to stains when compared to other flooring options such as hardwood and carpet. It is also one of the most affordable flooring options currently available on the market. Read on for everything you need to know about laying it like a pro and making the best possible purchase decision.
- While laminate flooring can be placed anywhere in the home, it works best in living areas and hallways. However, there are certain types of laminate flooring that have been especially designed for bathrooms and kitchens. Always check the details on the packaging before heading to the till!
- Not sure how much to buy? Simply measure the width of your room at its widest points, followed by the length. Multiply them together to give you the area of your room in m2. Add 10% just to be safe.
- In order to lay the laminate flooring yourself, you will need a variety of tools including a mallet, claw hammer, measuring tape, combination square, jigsaw, laminate underlay, expansion strip, scotia, craft knife, spirit level and saw.
- Choose your underlay carefully. There are a number of options including wood fibre boards, polyfoam and a combined underlay.
- Remember to vacuum the floor before getting started, and ensure that the entire area is completely dry.
Keen to hire a handyman in Gauteng to help make the process a bit easier and to ensure perfect results? If so, you can always count on Showroom Condition. Specialising in all sorts of handyman services from fitting laminate flooring to hanging curtains and shelves, we have the experience and skills necessary to get the job done right the first time! For more information, do not hesitate to give us a call.
As a handyman in Gauteng, I get tasked with all types of jobs – from repairing roofs to installing faucets. If you’ve got issues such as unpredictable water flow or leaks, then it might be a good idea to install new faucets. Here’s a step by step guide to get the job done:
- Turn off the water supply
The water supply can be turned off under your sink or under the dishwasher and disconnect the hot and cold water hoses. Put a bucket underneath because water in the pipes may spill onto your floor. It’s possible that debris has built up in these pipes, so clean the pipes where possible.
- Remove the old faucet
Unscrew the nuts on the existing faucet and remove the gasket and rubber ring. Once all the parts are removed, you can lift the faucet off of the sink’s base.
- Check the size of the holes
If you’re installing a different faucet size or model, you may be left with unsightly gaps. Use silicone and stainless-steel cups (or whatever material fits well with your existing kitchen and sink) to close any gaps.
- Install the new faucet
New faucets often come with hot and cold water faucets, so you can simply attach them to the hoses. Screw the hoses to the tape and use a screwdriver to tighten the bolt.
Need help with your faucet installation? Then contact Showroom Condition for handyman services in Gauteng today.
As a handyman, I often get tasked with mounting televisions for people. Wall mounting is one of the best options for flat screen televisions, and the process of getting it on the wall is quite easy if you’ve got the know-how and equipment. Here’s a quick guide:
- Attach the brackets to the back of the flat screen television
Most flat screen TV’s come with brackets, so your first step is to find the brackets in the box or packaging and attach them to the back of the television. There are usually three or four holes that the brackets slot into. Use the little screws to make sure it’s fastened correctly.
- Mark the right area on the wall
Test the right height and location of the television for your own comfort. Consider how you usually sit on your couch and what the best spot would be for everyone watching television in the room. Mark the wall when you find the right spot.
- Determine the correct measurements
This is the tricky part. Minimise unnecessary wall drilling by attaching the wall plate to the television and measuring the right distance between the screws. Use a level to make sure the measurements are correct.
- Drill and screw
After you’ve got the right position and measurements, drill the holes for your wall plate screws.
- Mount your television
Check that your wall plates and brackets are 100% sturdy and mount the television onto the wall. Make sure that it can handle the weight of the television before you let go.
If you’re not comfortable mounting your flat screen television to the wall yourself, then you can contact us for handyman services in Johannesburg – we’re happy to help.
Unblocking a kitchen sink can be a messy job and without handyman tips to guide you, it may become more difficult and even messier. Over time, your kitchen sink can become blocked with debris and food particles, causing the water to build up and stay in your sink rather than flowing through the kitchen water pipes to an outside drain.
Here are a few easy ways for a DIY handyman to unblock a kitchen drain:
• Using a plunger – When using a plunger, make sure that all the other pipe outlets are closed with rags in order to ensure a secure plunge. It is beneficial that the plunger is securely fixed over the drain opening. Holding the plunger upright, plunge for at least ten times in a fast manner to ensure all blocked debris is removed by the force.
• Using baking soda and vinegar – Pour a half cup of baking soda into the drain opening and then a half cup of white vinegar. A fizzing reaction will take place and debris will become unblocked. Rinse the drain with hot water to clean debris. This method should be followed a few times to ensure a perfectly clean kitchen drain.
• Using baking soda and salt – Mix a half cup of salt and one cup of baking soda and pour it down the drain opening. Let the mixture set within the drain pipes for about 24-hours. When set, pour two cups of hot water into the drain to ensure all blockages are resolved.
• Using of wire – Being very careful not to damage the drain pipes, use a long metal wire to push blocked debris through the pipe or to pull blocked debris from the pipe. After following this procedure, rinse the drain with hot water to ensure all blockages are cleared.
Showroom Condition – The best handyman service in Kyalami Estates
At Showroom Condition, we ensure all our services are of top quality. Our staff will always walk the extra mile to ensure your house looks great.
For more information about the handyman services we have to offer, do not hesitate to contact us today.
A leaking faucet can become very annoying after a while and with only a few handyman tips, you will soon forget that “tap-tap-tap”. If you choose to fix a broken faucet in or around your home without the assistance of a professional handyman service, you need to make sure that you use the correct DIY handyman methods of fixing the leak.
Here are some tips for a DIY handyman on fixing a broken faucet that is easy to do for the basic DIY person at home:
- When preparing to fix the broken faucet, you need to ensure that the water is turned off at the main water pipe of your home. This way, you will not have the mess of cleaning up an entire room filled with water afterward.
- If you unscrew the handle from the faucet, make sure that you use a little oil to ensure you do not damage any of the other faucet parts.
- When removing the stem of the faucet, make sure to use a high-quality wrench. You also need to check all the removed parts for damage to determine where the fault is.
- Replacing the old O-rings and washers are crucial when repairing a faucet and should be done carefully. You need to make sure that these O-rings and washers are exact fits to the old parts.
- Before reassembling all the parts, make sure that all the parts are clean and free of debris. Doing this will lessen the chance of the faucet becoming faulty again in the near future.
- It is beneficial to sort the leak out as soon as possible as neglecting it can cause bigger leaks near the spout and other parts that will need to be replaced.
Showroom Condition will make your house a home
At Showroom Condition, you will receive a wide variety of handyman services which includes house painting, waterproofing, plumbing services, electrical services, and much more.
For more information, do not hesitate to give us a call and one of our handymen will assist you!
Not everyone has the acumen to handle tools and use them to fix different issues which arise in the house. Although certain tasks might appear minor, it may be best to hire a professional to do the job.
A handyman is a person skilled at a wide range of repairs, typically around the home. The tasks include repair work and maintenance work – both on the interior and exterior of the home. Jobs done by a handyman include light plumbing jobs such as fixing a leaky toilet or light electric jobs such as changing a light fixture.
Showroom Conditions Handyman services offer a lot of benefits to you:
- Time – having someone do work for you frees your time so you can work on other things.
- Cost efficiency– our handyman services coupled with our extensive network of suppliers from whom we get quality products at a low cost enables us to save you money.
- Warranty – since we are professionals we give you a warranty on the work we do. Rest assured that you will not have to pay more because of shoddy workmanship.
- Skills – A professional handyman will have a lot more experience with a specific project than you might have.
The festive season is around the corner and the ideas for decorating are simply endless. Until the realisation of the actual task ahead kicks in. Who will be brave enough to attempt putting up the lighting along the driveway and your brand new Christmas lights that are to be fitted around an old tree and around the roofing of your home?
Handyman services provided by companies such as Showroom Condition is the perfect solution for all your festive seasons tasks that lay ahead.
You will find various services such as:
- Fitments of all sorts – Whether it is fitting a plasma screen TV or pictures, frames, doors and more, you will find handyman services here.
- Assembling of furniture – Flat pack furniture assembling services are on offer.
- Moving of heavy furniture – Another standard handyman service.
- Installing fire alarms – Installations of all kinds of standard equipment are available.
- Boxing in pipe work – It allows for a more pleasing look of your home.
- General repairs – Maintenance work around the house is important to your investment, handyman services are a way to protect your most important investment, your home.
No matter what Handyman services you require, Showroom Condition provides customers with these services. It is the perfect solution to all you need done around the house.
Give us a Call for Handyman services druing the Festive Season
Showroom Condition offer comprehensive handyman services and will be more than happy to help you will all your festive season, heavy-duty decorating requirements.
Contact us Showroom Condition for handyman services in Gauteng.
More often than not, you will require handyman services in Gauteng to fix something around the home. However, not every odd job calls for a professional. Some, like hanging pictures on a staircase wall are easy to do, whilst others are impossible for a layman due to lack of certain skills.
Some repairs require a professional touch in order to maintain the integrity of your property. This preserves your investment in the event you require to sell it in the near future. It is therefore best to have such a person’s number tucked away in your phonebook.
What they bring to the table
Apart from the fact they are handy with hanging your paintings or mounting your new plasma TV to the wall, they also come with a host of other advantages. These include:
- Excellent workmanship
If you are looking for the perfect finish to a perfect installation or repair, then there are no two ways about it. This is because you can easily tell a job that was done by a professional versus an amateur. Going with the most skilled handyman services in your area is therefore in your best interest.
You want a service provider with years of experience in handling the type of job you want done. This way, you are guaranteed fine and admirable workmanship.
- Time saving
Many homeowners have plenty of repairs and installations to tackle around the home. This can turn into a tedious, time consuming affair which almost always leads to procrastination. Consequently, your property might suffer under the weight of the damaged areas that require immediate attention. Calling the experts can solve this matter quickly thus freeing up your time and easing your worry.
- Money saving
You might think hiring a handyman to help with some issues around your home is a costly affair but it’s actually the opposite. For starters, when it comes to sourcing materials you will need for the job, they will save you money. They have the right connections and contacts to do this.
Secondly, they will save you money in the long run because of their excellent workmanship meaning the job won’t need repeating in a few years. The best handyman services will therefore keep your money in the pocket, thus you can’t lose.
If you are looking for handyman services in your area, contact us today to get directions from our team. We are always available to chat therefore do not hesitate, we are here for you.
- First label and mark up the locations of the cabinets, fixtures and appliances on the walls and draw a level line for both the top and bottom cabinets.
- Make your installation easier by removing the cabinet doors, shelves and drawers before you start installing. This also prevents them from being damaged.
- Shim out the larger bows on the walls before hanging your cabinet to prevent accidental pull offs of the cabinets’ backs. You can shim the smaller ones as you install.
- Hang the upper cabinets first. You will find it much easier to hang these when there are no obstructions on the lower side. Using a ledger board to rest the cabinets on ensures an easy, straight and nicely aligned installation.
- Use your clamps to hold two cabinets together as you connect them. Line them up at the face frames and fasten them together using two and a half inch screws in predrilled holes.
- Always make use of the finest screws. No need to be frugal on the screws when you have already spent a bundle on the cabinets. The RF self-countersinking screws are always a good choice for most handyman services.
- Proceed with the base cabinets by lining them up with the level line you made on the wall and fastening the back at that point. Then use shims to level the sides from the bottom before fastening it completely.
- If you are going to install your kitchen flooring after installing the cabinets, use flooring blocks the size of your planned flooring to raise the base cabinets before fastening.
- When cutting out the holes for drainpipes and water lines, cut oversized holes as opposed to exact sizes. Larger holes make it easier to slide the cabinets in place.
- As common with handyman services for cabinet installation, use the cabinet’s door rails as a guide location for knobs and pulls.
Contact us today for more information.
You already have the latest tools and instruments to make your handyman services easier and professional. Now add to your collection the following virtual tools which you can comfortably carry in your pocket, using your iPad or iPhone:
This is a free app that lets you sketch and write down some notes about your projects either by typing or in your own handwriting. You can start everything from scratch here or simply import the sketches, plans and documents you are already working on and edit. The app will help you keep all project notes in well organised folders.
- Builder’s Helper
This is the ultimate calculator for ALL that is done in typical DIY and handyman services projects. Whereas most construction calculators are expensive devices, you are going to have all of those in a nifty pack with this app and at a very handsome price.
- Spacing Calculator
You know of those situations where you have a couple of shelves you want to put up nice and evenly spaced, but you need to work out some serious mathematics to do so? Now that has never been easier with the help of this utility app. Just input the total height of the shelves, the number of shelves you have and their thickness and bam – you have the right spacing.
Not exactly a tool, at least not before you find out how convenient it makes storing all your project sketches, ideas, pictures and notes in a place that you can access from anywhere and using almost any device. You don’t have to worry about the working plans, the manuals for your tools and other relevant resources that you left in your office once you are out in the field, just go to your Dropbox.
Contact us today for more information.