We all know home maintenance is important, but that doesn’t mean it’s any fun. After a full week of work and family demands, spending the weekend putting polyfilla into cracks and waterproofing your roof is the last thing most of us feel like doing, but neglecting those all-important jobs can result in costly repairs in the long run. At Showroom Condition, our expert handymen take the hassle away from you.
Home maintenance essentials
- Paintwork: The exterior of your home is the first impression people get when they arrive. Having unsightly cracks and peeling paint on the walls and gutters will turn your house into the neighborhood eyesore. Every five years you should get a qualified handyman to patch and paint. It’s also a good opportunity to update the colour and stay modern.
- Gutters: Leaves and dirt should be cleaned out of the gutters at least once a year.
- Waterproofing: A good waterproofing system not only protects the interior of your home from water damage, but it also heats-up or cools-down your house in winter and summer respectively — which is good news for your electricity bill.
- Outside furniture: If you have wooden furniture or decks, these need to be sanded and oiled regularly to maintain their quality.
- Interior: Mouldy showers and cracked kitchen tiles do nothing for your home’s image – regular maintenance inside is important too.
- Security: Electric fences and boundary walls need to be maintained to ensure they remain effective.
At Showroom Condition we have expert professionals who you can trust to do all of these jobs for you. That means more quality time for you with friends and family, while we take care of beautifully maintaining your home. For comprehensive service, contact us today.
First of all, congratulations on becoming a homeowner! As a housewarming gift, we’ve drawn up a useful home maintenance checklist that will help you keep your investment in top shape all year round.
- Check your roof for missing or broken tiles and damaged eaves.
- Clear out your gutters thoroughly and have any weak points repaired.
- Check all your windows and doors to make sure that they are in good repair after the winter – there should be no cracks, crumbling seals or rot.
- Check your roof for missing or broken tiles, damaged eaves or deteriorated flashing and have it repaired.
- Check your gutters and downspouts for blockages caused by debris and clear them out. Also, make sure that the gutters aren’t sagging or dented and that the downspouts are all straight.
- If you have a chimney, make sure that the bricks and cement are in good condition – cracks and crumbling cement should be repaired immediately. Also, have your chimney cleaned to ensure there are no blockages.
- Check your windows to make sure that they are still fitting soundly and there are no signs of rot, misalignment or crumbling seals.
- If you have any underfloor heating in your home, turn it on as soon as it starts getting cooler. It’s cheaper to heat your home moderately from the start of winter than to try heating it from freezing. Also, this gives you a chance of seeing if there are any faults well in advance of cold weather.
- If you have a septic tank, make sure to schedule a professional check-up once a year.
- Have your main drains cleaned out annually to prevent blockages – this is especially important if you have mature trees on your property, as their roots can be very invasive.
If you’d like some assistance keeping up with your home maintenance, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Showroom Conditions today. We offer affordable monthly home maintenance contracts that will keep you in budget – and your home in perfect condition!
If you are joining one of the millions of new homeowners in South Africa and moving into your first home, chances are you’re not familiar with home maintenance and all its intricacies. There are different systems of the home which all work together and home repairs and maintenance will keep these important systems functioning in good order.
The money that you spend on house maintenance will save you thousands of Rands in the long run because you won’t have to replace the expensive pieces. As a property owner, there are a few areas of your home that you’ll need to pay particular attention to in order to prevent these areas acting up and causing you a lot of trouble and expense.
The areas you need to keep on top is include:
- The home’s roofing. The roof of the property is one of the first areas of the home that you need to spend time on keeping up with. Take note that all parts of the roof aren’t always visible from the ground.
- Plumbing. The property’s plumbing is another area of home maintenance that should enjoy your unreserved attention. You could end up having to spend thousands if you don’t catch any damage or problems early on. While for many the plumbing system is out of sight, out of mind, don’t fall into this trap and wait for problems to become evident before you act.
- Air conditioner: South Africa can get very hot during the summer and many properties’ air conditioners work overtime during the summer. Keep on top of its maintenance and repairs to ensure you get the best service out of your unit during the year.
If you are looking for an expert in the home repair industry who offers monthly maintenance contracts, contact Showroom Condition in Johannesburg today. We will continuously inspect your property and perform all maintenance tasks to keep it in great shape.
If you are a home owner or a property owner you will need to invest in home maintenance at one time or another, and it’s important to keep your property in good condition in order to avoid large, costly problems from occurring. At Showroom Condition we provide a wide range of home maintenance services and we pride ourselves on dependable, reliable work and complete customer satisfaction.
Most property owners have home maintenance issues they’ve been meaning to get around to, but the busy lives we lead can make it difficult to find the time. Instead of spending your weekend standing in long queues at the hardware store, call Showroom Condition and let us take care of all your maintenance problems. It isn’t advisable to try and tackle the problem yourself – it’s best to leave it to us, the professionals!
Showroom Condition home maintenance services include:
- House painting. House painting doesn’t have to cost you a fortune when you let us handle it.
- Waterproofing services. Don’t wait until your home has leaks or you start to see mould and mildew appear, as these are signs of serious leakage. Waterproof vulnerable areas to avoid these problems and keep the water out.
- General handyman services. We’re available to help you do any odd jobs you need done around the house.
Showroom Condition offers home maintenance contracts designed to give you the convenience of having a professional handyman on site whenever you need them. If something needs to be fixed, simply give us a call and we’ll be right there.
It’s time to stop procrastinating and take care of the repairs you’ve been meaning to get to. Call Showroom Condition and get an estimate or make an appointment with our repairmen today. We recommend you keep a regular home maintenance schedule in order to prevent bigger, more expensive problems from happening.
To learn more about home maintenance services in Gauteng from Showroom Condition, please contact us!
Home maintenance might be a handyman’s Saturday morning treat but for most people it’s a drag. It’s difficult to know where to start sometimes. I’m going to highlight some of the most important and common home maintenance concerns with tips on how to deal with them.
Home maintenance tips and ideas
Leaking taps are usually easily fixed by turning off the mains and replacing a washer. Be proactive with leaky taps as the drips add up on your water bill. Leaking toilets and washing machine supply hoses can cause serious water damage to floors. Check you toilet for leaks by putting food colouring into the cistern and ensuring that the water in the bowl does not change colour.
Remove hair from the shower drain every couple days or use a strainer in the plug hole to avoiding having to call the plumber weeks on. Avoid pouring oil down the drain in the kitchen sink.
Touching up paint work is a lot easier if you label all your paint tins with the name of the room where that colour has been used. Years after painting your kitchen zesty lime it will be much easier to search for the ‘Kitchen’ paint tin in the garage than to try to mix a matching colour or to repaint from scratch.
In spring it is a good idea to do an inspection of the roof and gutters and replace any rusty or damaged bits before they start to leak. Gutters should be cleaned at least annually. Autumn is a good time to check doors and windows to ensure there won’t be any sneaky drafts bothering you in the winter.
The most important rule of thumb for home maintenance is to be proactive. Never leave problems to fester and call in help whenever a job is out of your league!
For home maintenance services in Gauteng, contact Showroom Condition today!
We all have a few home maintenance issues we know we should deal with, but with busy weekdays and the desire to relax on weekends, many of these home maintenance issues are never addressed. It can be anything from chipped paint on your walls, a tiny leak in one of your pipes, cracks in your flooring or small water spots on your ceilings.
Some of these things require minor repairs, but others can lead to serious and expensive damage if not addressed within a certain period of time.
When dealing with home maintenance, it’s important to understand the root of the problem and understand how severe the damage can be. While it may be tempting to visit your local hardware store and opt for the cheapest and fastest solution, there is a good chance this will only provide a temporary fix to your home maintenance issue.
If you are dealing with electrical problems, it is always recommended to consult a professional because serious injuries can occur.
One home maintenance issue you should never ignore is a leaking ceiling or visible water spots on your ceilings, especially if you live in an area with high humidity and frequent rainfall. Toxic black mould can flourish in leaking ceilings, and it can be hazardous to you and your family’s health.
Proper home maintenance in Gauteng ensures the safety of your home for you and your loved ones. If you have any major or minor home maintenance issues you need addressed, contact Showroom Condition today! A team of friendly professionals is standing by to assist you.
Back to home maintenance Gauteng